How Much Will This cost?!?
What's in the contract?
Our prices are determined by what you need to get your book in print. If You have a special need that isn't listed , we're happy to accommodate It at a reasonable price.
- Basic setup fee (formatting, cover, proof, publish on Amazon & Kindle, making it available to all bookstore catalogs, 4 print copies) = $295.00. Before Empower begins work on your manuscript, a $100 deposit is required. The balance is due once you approve the print proof.
- Scans of photos or other images (the first 12 are free) = $0.50 each.
- Typewritten pages (or PDFs, PowerPoint, etc.) converted to digital text = $1.00 each.
- Handwritten pages (provided we can read them) converted to digital text = $2.00 each.
- The cost of the author-purchased copies of your book is set according to the printing cost of the book, which varies according to the number of pages, size of the pages and whether or not the interior is black-and-white or has color illustrations.
Empower's basic setup fee covers the full cost of your complimentary copies. Author-purchased copies will also have tax and shipping costs.
- Taxes are determined according to the shipping destination.
- Shipping fees are set by the printer and vary based on the size of the book, the number of copies ordered and the shipping destination.
- Typically, book orders take 10-14 business days from purchase to delivery. This can vary (orders can take longer around holidays and other busy times).
- Expedited shipping is often available at an additional cost as set by the printer.
Terms of the contract
The key provisions of the contract are listed here. Scroll down for a link that takes you to a blank copy of the actual contract.
- As the Author, you are only allowing Empower, the Publisher, the right to publish print and digital versions of your book. You retain all other rights (like audio books, screen rights, merchandising, etc.).
- The standard print version of the book is trade size paperback: 5.5 inches by 8.5 inches on white paper with a full-color cover. Many other sizes are available and do not impact the setup price.
- A $100 deposit is required for us to commence work on your book. The balance is due after you approve the print proof, at which time you'll receive 4 complimentary print copies.
- We obtain a unique ISBN Library of Congress number for your book, which helps to prevent plagiarism of your work.
- You can order as many copies of your book as you want at a low set price that we establish when we know the size and page count of your book. This price does not change unless the printer increases printing costs.
- You receive 100% of the proceeds (royalties) generated by the sale of all new copies of your book (sometimes your readers may resell used copies of your book and they alone get the proceeds for that). Amazon has a 60-90 day lag in forwarding book sale proceeds; this is their policy over which we have no control.
- If you have special requirements for the publication of your book (for instance, if you have a lot of scans--like the cookbook we did with 600 scanned recipes), we spell out the cost of those in your contract.
Click here to see a copy of the contract. If you wish, we can send the contract via US mail. To hasten the process, we can proceed online with electronic signatures.
firstname.lastname@example.org (336) 257-9276